Saturday, September 19, 2009

Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas

Have you ever had a recipe that EVERYONE asks for? This is that recipe for me. It is so hard to pass along as I do not measure any of the ingredients, I just add it in because I know what it should look like. One of these days, I will start taking pics and adding those to my blog. (I borrowed some for this blog) I am giving you the "spicy version". If you prefer non-spicy, leave out the jalapenos. :)

What you will need:

1 pkg. Chicken breasts ( 3-4 )
2 Cups Shredded Cheese ( sometime I use cheddar, sometimes Colby/Mont jack)
1 Lg can Tomato sauce
1 Jar jalapenos ( nacho slices)
8-10 flour tortillas

2 cans chicken broth
1 stick butter
1/2 cup flour
1 16 ounce container sour cream

How to prepare:

-Preheat oven to 350.
-Spray 13 x 9 cassarole pan with nonstick spray
-Boil chicken breasts until fully cooked-I often season with garlic & onion powder
-Once chicken is cooked - dice and place in a large mixing bowl
-Add (to the chicken) 3/4 can of the tomato sauce, cheese, and the juice from the jar of jalapenos
- You can add different things to the chicken such as cumin, green chilis, or mexican rotel....my family doesn't like "chunks" in the enchiladas *smile*



-Next place the chicken mixture in the flour tortillas and roll. (like in picture)
-Place the rolled tortillas in the cassarole pan. You should get about 8-10 enchiladas filled and rolled.
-Top the enciladas with the jalapeno slices

-Now, in a sauce pan over medium heat you will need to melt the butter.
-Once the butter is melted you will add in the flour and stir. This will make a paste.
-Add chicken broth and continue to stir/whisk until smooth. This mixture will thicken as it heats.
-Continue to stir until fairly thick. You may need to add a bit more flour, but be careful not to get it to thick.
-Once thickened, add the container of sour cream and stir.
-Remove from heat and pour over the enchiladas
-Place in oven and heat for about 15 minutes

Sometimes we eat these as is, and sometimes we add things like chopped onions, lettuce and shredded cheese.


Photobucket

No comments: